Modifying The Lathe Compound

An Aside Making Counterbores


Today, I wanted to do some single-point thread cutting on the lathe. But when I went to set the compound, I noticed this.


My tool post was butting up against the edge of the compound, and so I couldnt rotate it to set it straight. Actually, When I first got the tool post, it didnt fit at all. I had to mill a bit away so it would sit flat. I didnt think to mill away enough to be able to turn the post. Derp.


So I stripped off the compound, popped it in the mill, and began cutting. The section I cut is about 0.0005 low, so the tool post will sit flat.


Plenty of room now!

Related posts

Leave a Comment