Blog

Building The Darn Thing Part 5 of n

The State Of The Chipi Building The Darn Thing Part 5 of n Well, I went through a quick blitz of making things, then kind of dead-ended. By which I mean I ran out of parts and had to stop work. But heres what I got done. Steering: I built the steering column! And made a steering wheel! And didnt take any pictures, but heres some video of what it looks like laser-cutting 3/8 acrylic on a 30W CO2 laser.   And then I had a rolling chassis, and wanted…

Read More
Blog

Building The Darn Thing Part 1 Of n

ChipiKart In which I Dont Play With Motors The title says it. Time to build. A quick steel run and some time with the chop saw later, this happened. Thats most of the base of the frame. When making a frame like this, the trick is to break it down into individual units of two pieces, weld the units square, and then weld the units together. That way, the whole frame stays strong and square. So! Welding! Back frame reinforcements, cooling down. Then the rest of the base gets welded…

Read More
Blog

A Digression: Batteries

  Well, ChipiKart is done(ish). It raced at the San Mateo Maker Faire, but thats another story. One thing Ive been meaning to do to ChipiKart is replace the lead-acid batteries with something better, like one of the more stable lithium technologies. Those are expensive, though. But at the maker faire, I was able to pick up some pretty neat surplus. This is a A123 module. Its 16.4v, 2.5 Ah. But thats not the fun bit. The fun bit (aside from the super-flat discharge curve) is the (reported) maximum discharge…

Read More
Blog

Modifying The Lathe Compound

An Aside Making Counterbores   Today, I wanted to do some single-point thread cutting on the lathe. But when I went to set the compound, I noticed this.   My tool post was butting up against the edge of the compound, and so I couldnt rotate it to set it straight. Actually, When I first got the tool post, it didnt fit at all. I had to mill a bit away so it would sit flat. I didnt think to mill away enough to be able to turn the post.…

Read More
Blog

Building A Boring Head

A Carriage Stop For The Lathe I havent been completely idle on builds like TinyMill. Ive just needed more tools. One thing Ive been wanting for quite some time is a boring head for my mill. And when I was re-designing the x-y stage for TinyMill, I realized that I actually needed one. So Im going to build one, because Im crazy. Ill be following another one of Deans builds. One thing that I considered in my decision to build this was cost. And because I dont just happen to…

Read More
Blog

Building A Boring Head Part 2

Building A Boring Head   And so it begins.   I cut off a couple 1.25 lengths of the cast iron bar, and faced the ends to make them pretty. The big thing about this cast iron bar is that it isnt round. So although the ends of the bar are flat now, they arent necessarily perpendicular to the length, or even parallel with each other.   I popped one in the 4-jaw chuck, and faced the end again. I now have an end thats flat and straight as long…

Read More
Blog

An Aside Making Counterbores

TinyMill Part 6 Over the course of designing some more parts for TinyMill, I realized that I needed to counterbore some holes. I could easily fake it with an end mill or drill bit, but one of my design goals was to not have any kludges. I could buy a counterbore, but thats $30 for a set that I might use one of every (not) so often. Or I could buy some drill rod and make my own. Guess which option I chose. Before I start, I need to give…

Read More
Blog

Making Coasters

Inspiration A while ago I found out about Evil Mad Scientist Labs font coasters. I thought it would be lots of fun to make my own, and so I began scanning for fonts and material. I decided that Times New Roman was too drab, and settled on something more exciting Webdings. I had been putting this project off until I found a roll of cork in the basement, and then I had no excuse. What follows is an attempt at documenting the process of making a font coaster on a…

Read More